Re: Debian Organization

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:34:06PM +0000, Will Newton wrote:
> Projects like XFree (a different animal admittedly) sign up developers who
> submit fixes. Maybe it would be more productive if developers were encouraged
> to join not to package, because let's face it, the majority of useful and
> reasonably mature Linux software is in Debian, but to do other things e.g.
> QA, web development. Yeah, it's not sexy work and probably no-one would sign
> up for it, but it beats having another package that no-one (even the
> maintainer) really cares about.

You're obviously unaware of the X Strike Force.  It does exactly what
you describe and has been a modest success.  I could probably do more to
promote it, but the debian-x list seems much better at attracting
clueless newbies (some of them who want help with other Linux
distributions) than people who want to help getting the work done.

That said, the XSF has accreted a loosely-defined core of people over
the years who have been incredibly helpful.  I just wish there were more
of them.  (A year and a half ago, I had a volunteer who was willing to
take over maintenance of the xfree86v3 packages.  Shortly after
volunteering, he vanished without a trace.  I think the package scares
people, frankly.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    America is at that awkward stage.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    It's too late to work within the