Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"Nicolas" == Nicolas Boullis <Boullis.Nicolas@libertysurf.fr> writes:

 Nicolas> Hi!
 Nicolas> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:41:54PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> You realize that you are asking more of this script that you
 >> ask of dpkg? What happens if you try making a non-conffile into a
 >> conffile? You think dpkg is going to check md5sums of old files
 >> before asking? You think dpkg even preserves user changes?

 Nicolas> I do realize that I'm asking more of this script than I ask of dpkg.
 Nicolas> But, AFAIK, dpkg is not supposed to correct previous mistakes of
 Nicolas> maintainers.

	Neither is this script. Correcting mistakes of previous
 packages is a side effect that it provides.

 Nicolas> I don't know of any good reason to use such a script on a
 Nicolas> regular basis, instead of declaring a conffile. If there are
 Nicolas> some, please explain me.

	Then you should read either the beginning of the thread, the
 script man page (USAGE section), or read emacs policy and understand
 how Debian packages emacs lisp packages for multiple flavours of
 emacsen.

 Nicolas> But, IMNSHO, such a scrpt should only be used in a
 Nicolas> transition phase, when a file was not declared as a
 Nicolas> conffile, and it now is.

	Before you lose your humility, you should perhaps get a clue,
 and stop wasting peoples time.

 Nicolas> Anyway, your script is surely much better that my crude hack, but I
 Nicolas> guess you've spend quite some time writing it.

	Yeah. It took me about 45 minutes to get the first version.

 Nicolas> Anyway, if your script works fine (I've not found courage to read it
 Nicolas> extensively), it surely is the best available solution to upgrade
 Nicolas> smoothly.

	It is meant to do far more than a transit0oin, it allows you
 to provide conffile like protection to maintainer script maintained
 files.

	manoj
--
 QWERT (kwirt) n. [MW < OW qwertyuiop, a thirteenth] 1. a unit of
 weight equal to 13 poiuyt avoirdupois (or 1.69 kiloliks), commonly