Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:26:04PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Norbert Veber wrote:
> > Do you still have this document?  It probably doesnt contain any
> > information not present in this thread, but it might be useful
> > nonetheless.
>
> I still have it.

Mind sending me a copy?  Either on or off list, up to you.

> > What are the reasons for not adding this to policy?
>
> It doesn't need to be an policy, that doesn't add anything to it.

It could add to it.  It could be declared that files in /usr/src must be
owned, and writeable by group src (I for one find it useful), or that no
file must be owned by "nobody" or "www-data", or that logs must be owned
and readable by group "adm", and so on..   No point in having the groups
unless their uses are consistent and enforced by policy.  If this is
something that we are leaving up to the system administrator, than we
can leave adding and chosing the user/group names up to the
administrator as well..

Thanks,

Norbert