Re: services stopped but not restarted during apt-get dist-upgrade?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 03:02:34AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   it looks like some services are stopped but never restarted after
> running apt-get dist-upgrade (which failed because of gnotepad+
> problem).
>
>   after I got it working (not completely easy) the services were
> restarted but IMO it is a serious problem when services are stopped
> because of failure to upgrade some (unrelated!) package.
>
>   BTW why does apt-get dist-upgrade stop after upgrading certain number
> of packages then when run again it upgrades few more packages and stops
> etc... it's kinda messy...

AFAIKT, apt-get will set up all packages that were correctly set up
until the bug. But you are right, it is messy. Sometimes I have to
run apt-get to configure packages a bunch of times just because one
package doesn't configure properly. Each run sets up just a few more packages
so eventually I end up with only one or two broken ones that don't set
up -  the rest is fine...

IMO, this would be a whishlist bug against dpkg. But then again, it
is the fault of the faulty packages!

- Adam