Re: Trying to fix slang

Branden Robinson wrote:

Bottom line: I'm not going to do this.  Ian Jackson went so far as to
call me on the phone a few years ago to try and persuade me to break
compatibility with XFree86.  If he couldn't manage it, you're not going
to, either.

Agreed, xterm is not a standard by any means, and the existance of a few different xterm-* terminfo files proves it. We hear this one all the time at work and my general line on it is:

A) dont use xterm, use rxvt or something.
B) tunnel the xterm from the remote machine, then you know for sure your xterm corresponds to the xterm terminfo on that machine
C) copy over your terminfo for xterm and use that instead
D) use one of the terminfo xterm-* types and just get used to using setenv TERM xterm-sun all the time.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org>