Re: Developing free standards (Was: Re: Answers to your questions about W3C patent policy)

On 2003.01.01 15:32 H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:05:00PM +1100, Francis Whittle wrote:
[snip]
> Unfortunately this seems to be the place where free software ideals
> fall down; standards and patents.  A lot of standards out there are
> patented; and the creates an environment the opensource community
just
> doesn't stand a chance in, in terms of interoperability with
> proprietary products.

This brings to mind the infamous Halloween Documents. Decommoditizing
protocols. *shudder*

:
:

Of course, I hope all this will turn out to be *not* the case. But it
is
wiser to plan for the worst than to hope we can ignore it out of
existence.

Sorry, were you meaning to spit back out exactly what I meant but using slightly different language (mostly ordering), or did that happen by accident?

Oh well...  You did outline a few more issues, though.

Francis.