Re: Common (basic) security checks for a base installation? (was Re: Security notification script in Perl)

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 11:01:18AM -0800, Will Lowe wrote:

> Here's a cron.daily script for tracking changes in setuid status:
> http://people.debian.org/~lowe/security/setuidcheck

  That actually looks very similar to what the `checksecurity` package
 does at the moment.

> > - detect if security updates are available and warn the administrator
> See:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~lowe/aptwatcher/aptwatcher

  That looks neat, but it doesn't handle security updates in the same
 way that my script does - mine will include a paragraph of text explaining
 what the security issue actually is, and will ignore non-security updates.

Steve
---