Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 01:58, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> In chiark.mail.debian.devel, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 19:36, Adam Majer wrote:
> >> Damn it! What about a P4 distribution???!!?
> >>
> >P4s are i686s.
>
> Commonality of instruction set does not necessarily imply commonality of
> optimisations. The PIV is quite different from a PPro,
> architecture-wise. A P4 distribution would probably be a win over a 686
> distribution - on the other hand, the jump probably wouldn't be as big
> as from 386 to 686, which nobody seems to have demonstrated as being
> terribly necessary anyway.

Aside from truly processor-centric tasks such as crypto, I've not seen
any indication that there's a win from processor-specific optimisation.

Most software is far more likely (I'd think, anyway) to get bogged down
in such arch-specific bottle necks as IO.

A quick google brings up lots of papers about the performance
differences between different C compilers, but nothing about the
benefits of compiling with different processor options using the same
version as gcc.

Has anyone got some real-world evidence that this makes a difference?
I'm thinking about things like how many pages/second an Apache server +
mod_perl can serve when compiled generically over when compiled with the
"perfect" optimisations for the processor.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?