Re: Debian's children distros, are they cooperating with us?

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Javier [iso-8859-1] Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 08:04:56AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > In my opinion the main argument is lazyness:  I for myself am very lazy
> > and I would avoid any effort I would have to do if others would be happy
> > to do the work for me.  Thus if I would be a vendor of a Debian derived
> > distribution I would be happy if Debian would maintain some additions
> > I need for my distribution.  The precondition for this lazyness is that
> > I offer Debian the stuff I would need for my distribution.
> >
> 	Yes. I've seen this same attitude of some companies. They just put
> the source up in their FTP server (sometimes they don't even do this) and
> are done with it.
Well, I was speaking about "offer Debian the stuff" I intended to say
that they do it RIGHT or just care for it that it is done right.

> 	Of course, this plays agains them because not integrating some
> stuff with Debian makes for quirks in upgrades in the end users's system
> (when a new Debian release is made, or when a security advisory is
> sent ....). If the company goes out of business (i.e. Corel) then I guess
> they don't care at all, but IMHO a single-shot Linux distribution is not a
> well thought business plan.
For sure.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  Awake the interest of
a Debian developer or find a sponsor to get it INTEGRATED with all bells
and whistles (BTS, apt-get, ...)

I think the REAL lazyness requires some work before leaning back ...

Kind regards

        Andreas.