Re: RFC: GGI with Debian

On 10-Dec-02, 23:52 (CST), Martin Albert <MartinAlbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> [big ol' *snip*]
> In short (hey, you didn't expect that?): If no one answers, i will:
> - close all bugs wo. further notice, regarding the unavailability of
> 'visible' output,

Right (but see below).

> - still not know how to solve the dependancy issues for users and
> maint. that cannot read.

You can't. People who are willfully stupid cannot be helped in any
useful way. Any attempt to do so ends up punishing those who can read
and follow instructions.

However, it is worth noting the following:

1. In a "standard" 80x25 terminal window, split between the package tree
and description, aptitude doesn't show the last paragraph of the libggi2
description, which means that one doesn't see the warning about needing
to install the target.

2. While the information is certainly available in
/usr/share/doc/libggi2, it would probably be worth your time to add
a README.Debian that says (roughly) "If you don't see anything, it's
because you haven't installed the appropriate target", followed by
a list of the Debian package names of the targets with a oneliner
description (roughly what's in the "Targets" section of the existing
README, but with the Debian package names and an explicit statement that
one or more must be installed.) You wouldn't even have to list all the
targets, just a few of the most commonly used ones and "other packages
named libggi-target-*".

Again, I'm not arguing that the information isn't there, but putting in
explicit Debian terms might help. If nothing else, it would (probably)
give you a few less bugs to close.

Regards,
Steve

--