Re: Porting Xconfigurator to Debian!

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 23:50, Michael Banck wrote:

> > > Now explain that to my mother! :p
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Maybe what we want is a meta-package that depends on discover, read_edid,
> > and mdetect.
>
> Maybe what we need are people who read package descriptions prior to
> install:
>
> Package: xserver-xfree86
> [...]
> Suggests: discover, mdetect, read-edid
> [...]
>  If the discover, mdetect and read-edid packages are installed, the debconf
>  scripts in this package will use them to attempt automatic configuration
>  of the X server based on your information returned by your video card,
>  mouse, and monitor.
>
> Michael

Not only will most people only read the top level package description, i.e.
x-window-system, but if they are using apt-get the suggested pacakged are
not even offered as an option.  Perhaps apt-get needs as option which says
either treat suggests as requires, or ask for confirmation on suggests.

David