Re: reliable streams over UDP

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 02:16:20PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> Do we have a library in Debian that provides reliable stream based
> communication over UDP?
>
> I want to be able to deal with asymetric links and end-points that change IP
> address so TCP won't work.

	Why would TCP have trouble with asymmetric links? And if you
	mean links that only allow traffic to pass in one direction
	(there is no alternative backchannel), you really can't have
	reliability.

	For end-points that change IP, either look at SCTP, or build
	a protocol that allows you to establish new TCP connections and
	switch the logical connection to another TCP connection.

	There are _really_ good reasons for using TCP, and really quite
	few for not using it. In most real world scenarios, you end up
	reimplementing TCP bit-by-bit, in your own protocol, over UDP.

	Also, apt-cache show rocks.

--