Re: Free bigot flame burning, time to think.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 07:41:02AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Reasons for not to expel non-free:
>
>   (1)  size of non-free section has no practical impact to over all
>        archive size (<<3%)  No real financial damage.
>        See Susan's post Message-ID: <[🔎] 20021114103645.GA943@kleinmann.com>
>   (6)  Flame war on this issue is waist of energy.  We will win
>        non-free war by writing better free code (OpenSSH and GPG as good
>        example).

And please let me add

(7) By making non-free software harder for Debian users to get, use
and maintain, we will only be lessening the number of people who
choose to start using debian.

Currently we offer a completely free solution for those that want it,
along with a less free system that can be had after a slight
modification. This allows us to be inclusive of newcomers who are not
yet weaned off of their free software, but may be as they learn more
about Debian.

I think that being more restrictive would just mean having fewer
users, who in turn result in fewer developers, over time. People need
a way to be introduced to free software.

michael

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Each something is a celebration of the nothing that supports it."
- John Cage