Re: Possible mass filing of bugs: don't use libxaw-dev

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:11:05PM -0800, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> Packages which specify libxaw7-dev|libxaw-dev, which should work for
> autobuilders but still allows too much freedom for building the
> packages locally:

In general (and not just because one of my packages is in the list that
follows!), I don't think that this is a bad thing. The autobuilders will
do what they need to do correctly; if users want to recompile against
libxaw6-dev, good for them.

This can be actively useful in cases where a package needs to
build-depend on something only in unstable, but the maintainer would
like the package to be buildable reasonably smoothly on stable for the
purposes of backports. See, for example, #167582.

(I agree that your first list needs to be tightened up, of course.)

Cheers,