Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:50:32PM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:

> 	Silly, perhaps, but it still conveys the message that the
> Gentoo user is in control. Do the cutting edge enthusiasts in Debian
> have the same amount of control? Have we become so complacent at
> believing that since we have the some of the strictest policies and
> heaviest bug resolution/testing procedures around that we're the best
> distribution around that we no longer need to seek improvements?

Users can already build packages from source with the greatest of ease.  The
corresponding (missing) functionality in Debian would be a standardized and
universally recognized way to pass compiler flags and the like into the
package build process.

...given a facility corresponding to these:

                   Arguments to pass to configure script.  Defaults are empty,
                   except for gnu-style configure, where prefix and sysconfdir
                   are set.

                   Basic environment passed to configure script (path and
                   libtool setup).  gnu-style configure adds a lot more vari-

plus a mandate that all debian/rules honour inherited CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and the
like, this would become trivial.

But is it worthwhile?

 - mdz