Intro to debian devel could use some work

Hello all,

I use many OSs and many Linux distros, but Debian keeps me coming back for
more.  With all the "exciting" Linux distros out there, I think we need to
and can do a little better with an intro to Debian Development [1] than:

"The information on this page, while public, will primarily be of interest
to Debian developers."

I am not in the know, but surely we can do better.  A paragraph at least ;-)
and no need for that "while public" stuff, as it is uninviting.  A link to a
dewbie-devel article?  A link of abandoned pkgs w/ a large number of users?
A list of unowned milestones for the next release?

Best regards,
Lloyd D Budd

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/