Re: Ask yourself some questions (was: Discussion - non-free software removal)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:43:48AM +0100, Rémi Letot wrote:
>> > Removing packages from the Debian archive doesn't remove them from
>> > people's systems.
>>
>> But without a maintainer and the debian system behind them, they are
>> worthless.
>
> This is a pretty ungenerous thing to say about the upstream authors.

Upstream authors do not integrate packages into debian, this is
maintainer's jobs. Also they don't make sure that it continues to
work on the stable release, fix security bugs in the current debian
release, package them accoarding to debian policy,...

If I want to rely on upstream authors for distribution-wide
coordination, I can certainly switch to some other distribution that
is built on that model. Debian is not.

Hope this clarifies,
--
Rémi