Re: no more non-free additions

    Peter> We could just stop adding new packages to non-free while
    Peter> keeping the current set, thus making non-free obsolete in
    Peter> the long run.

This argument is esstially the reason non-free was created in the
first place: that Debian would accept certain non-free packages until
DFSG compliant alternatives existed.  However, your suggestion does
nothing to address the current issues with non-free, namely lack of
consistent integration with the rest of the Debian infrastructure
(e.g. non-free package update have been known to be ignored in
queue/new for over six months)

Either non-free should be given the same level of infrastructure
supports (promotion to testing, access to buildds etc), or it should
be removed.  Every other alternative promotes the mamby-pambyism that
goes on today.

--
Stephen

"And what do we burn apart from witches?"... "More witches!"