Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> The last time this came up (around July of 2000), the example of
> Netscape Navigator was trotted out time and time again.
>
> Well, the Netscape Navigator problem *has* been solved.

	So the Navigator packages can be retired, but the same can't be
	said for all non-free packages - that has to be determined on a
	package-by-package basis, and it occurred to me that the DNFPRG
	would be ideally placed to do this if it maintained the non-free
	packages.

	It could work something like this:

		1. Maintainers of new non-free packages would
		   pass package control to the DNFPRG by becoming
		   new members.

		2. All non-wishlist bugs against the non-free
		   packages are fixed, wishlist bugs are used
		   enhance their free replacements.

		3. Once the replacement packages are complete,
		   the DNFPRG puts up "intent-to-retire" notices
		   for the corresponding non-free packages.

		4. If there are no legitimate objections raised
		   within some predetermined time period (e.g.
		   four weeks), the non-free packages are retired
		   and their maintainers are given package control
		   of the replacements. Those maintainers are then
		   free to leave the DNFPRG.

	In the case of Navigator, the DNFPRG could proceed directly to
	step 3, and if no non-trivial concerns are raised, then to step
	4.

	This process should prevent non-free packages from lingering in
	Debian long after suitable replacements have become available
	and gives those with non-trivial needs that currently are only
	met by non-free packages a migration route that doesn't leave
	them without working code.

	Not subscribed.

--

	Anthony Travers (amt-public@dodo.com.au)