Steven Fuerst wrote:

> this later license is pretty much overruled by Ben and James joining
> into the angband opensource initiative. (Ben Harrison did a large
> rewrite of the code several years ago.) The only real problem is with
> the truely ancient code and copywrited text in the game - which comes
> from Robert A. Koeneke and falls under the Moria license above. ;-)

What does "pretty much overruled" mean? It sounds like you're saying
that because Ben Harrison rewrote a lot of code, therefore there is only
a relatively small quantity of the original Koeneke code remaining, so
let's just pretend it's not a problem. Sorry, it's still a problem if
it's still in the code base. Besides, as I pointed out earlier, even the
revised license as you quoted it is not OSD-compatible, much less
DFSG-compatible, so it sounds like you have to replace a lot more than
just the Koenecke code to be able to change to a proper open-source
license.

> Which is why it is in non-free...

Exactly. In a way, this whole sub-thread seems to have drifted
off-topic; the issue isn't whether Zangband is "free" or not, but
whether Debian should continue maintaining a "non-free" section on its
own mirrors. The merits of Zangband, and whether or not it is "free",
are irrelevant to that.

Craig