Steven Fuerst wrote:

> John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > As things stand today, the Debian distribution already does not contain
> > non-free software.  That is, our operating system, CDs, etc. do not have
> > that software.  Our FTP site and mirror networks, however, do carry
> > non-free.  So, to be precise, Zangband had never been a part of the Debian
> > distribution.
>
> There is one small problem with this neat definition of what constitutes
> debian.  Due to the wonders of this program called 'apt-get' it is
> possible to install the distribution once, and then forever update it
> via this wonderful invention called the internet.  Which basically means
> that what is on the CD's isn't important at all.  I happen to only own
> the Slink CD's - but yet manage to run Sid as up to date as the
> ftp.uk.debian.org mirror.  As far as I'm concerned, debian is what is on
> my machine now. ;-)

You realize, of course, that by editing /etc/apt/sources.list you can
have apt-get retrieve packages from any apt-gettable repository anywhere
in the world, whether or not it is run by the Debian Project or Debian
developers. So this argument seems rather weak. Apt-get does not define
what is or is not part of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. John's
point, further, is that even the content of the Debian mirrors does not
define it. Only the contents of the main pool (not contrib, not
non-free) are "Debian GNU/Linux". Contrib and non-free are supported by
the mirrors essentially just as an act of pure generosity. John's GR
proposal is presumably based on the belief that this generosity does not
result in a net benefit to the Debian Project or the Free Software
community.

> > As it is, the license for Zangband quite clearly excludes use in corporate
> > settings.  While we may quibble on what is "free enough," the fact remains
> > that for a substantial number of people, that license is not free enough.
>
> Nope - here is the license in question:
>

> /*
>  *       ANGBAND may be copied and modified freely as long as the above
>  *       credits are retained.  No one who-so-ever may sell or market
>  *       this software in any form without the expressed written consent
>  *       of the author Robert Alan Koeneke.
>  */
>

> (Where Robert Koeneke is currently uncontactable by the angband
> community.)
>
> This prevents debian putting the games (Moria, Angband and Zangband) on
> CD and selling the CDs.  However, it does not prevent these open source
> programs from being on the mirror network that debian provides, allowing
> many people to download and install these wonderful games for free.

You are misusing the term "open source" as it is commonly understood.
The restriction against selling the program violates the Open Source
Definition (see http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php). So
Zangband, as long as it contains code covered by the original license,
is not really an open source program at all. Calling it "effectively
open-source" is basically just an evasion, sort of like saying that
since a gun has only one live bullet in it (along with five blanks), it
is effectively not dangerous.

True, Debian _could_ distribute Zangband via its mirror network, but why
should it? The Debian Project (for which I do not speak) wants to
promote Free Software, which Zangband is not.

I have a number of programs on my Debian systems that I did not download
from an official Debian mirror. Some, I was able to apt-get from another
repository; others I had to download using a web browser in either
binary or source form. The end result is adequate, either way; I have
the programs and use them. So I don't see that Debian's potential
decision to not distribute non-free software via its own mirrors creates
a significant hardship for anyone. Zangband has a web site
(www.zangband.org) and apparently has files hosted at SourceForge, so
what are you complaining about? Your program will remain readily
available to anyone who wants it whether or not Debian's mirrors carry
it.

Craig