Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The solution usually proposed to this problem is to remove the non-free
> archive; then the packages in testing/non-free will be just as current as
> those in unstable/non-free.
:)

There was another solution proposed in a thread in the beginning of this
year.  The problem was that there are licenses which forbid compilation
on some certain architectures.  Thus we are not allowed to use
autobuildes blindly.

My proposal was to use a positive list for auto compilation of packages
which have a license which would allow that.

The answer was the usual one: Would you volunteer to do the necessary
changes in auto builder code?

No, I do not volunteer but I would be very happy if somebody would step
in here and would save not only my time to keep all possible packages
in non-free up to date.

Please note that there are package in non-free which just have just no
license (reason to go to non-free), no responsive upstream author to
ask for a license - but users who depend from this software.  So your
arguments Steve do not apply on any case even if I understand your
intention.

Kind regards

          Andreas.