OT: Re: Document on dispute resolution

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Those of you who follow -project will have already seen the flamewar
> about my draft disputes document.  The rest of you may well be
> interested too, and I'd be keen to have your input.  I'm posting here
> because the discussion in -project has only had very few people
> contributing.

This has nothing to do with development.  This is off-topic.  Follow up on
-project.  This will be my *ONLY* mail to -devel on this.

ps: This reflects very bad against a developer(and the tech ctte chairman, at
that), who so blatantly uses the wrong forum for dicussion)

> So, let me explain: as the technical committee chairman, I've been
> seeing a lot of the less functional side of the project lately :-),
> particularly people getting into really unhelpful spats; it makes it
> hard to see what the actual the issues at stake are, and hard to fix
> anything.

I've seen the ctte doing nothing, doing it well, and doing it consistently.
So, anything the ctte attempts to do has no bearing in my mind.

Yes, I believe that there are major problems with the way these various groups
of people are managed and put together.  No, I don't

> So, I wrote up my personal view of a set of guidelines for how we
> developers should try to resolve our disputes with each other.  I was
> hoping to get the Project Leader and the BTS admins on board, so that
> we could have it as a joint recommendation, but our illustrious leader
> isn't answering his mail and the BTS admins want nothing to do with
> the politics.

It is just that, *your* personal view.  And you tried to force it upon others,
and force others to do your forcing(by putting other people's names on it).
This is contrary to the meaning behind your document.

> But, I still think it's a good idea, and I'm planning to try to get it
> approved and published by the Technical Committe at least.

It's a good idea.  But you've become too tainted to do anything worthwhile
towards this ends.  So, back off, go away, and stop pestering the world with
your own personal agenda.

> Of course, I want to know what people think of it first !  I've had a
> lot of heat (and, I have to say, not much light) from two of our more
> awkward types, but what I really want to know is whether people agree
> with the contents.  There's no point putting out some recommendation
> that everyone thinks is wrong, because there'll be little social
> pressure to do as it says.

Heat well deserved.  And, it's been at *least* 3.  Branden, Manoj, and I.  Or
can't you count?

> So, I'd like to encourage anyone who's interested in talking about the
> rules for fighting (which is more or less what it's about) to come
> over to -project and read my doc and perhaps some of the threads.

Again, have you read what you have been pushing on us?  You haven't been
following your own guidelines.

> I've put a copy of it below, just for ease of finding it, but please
> try to reply to -project unless you really think the discussion ought
> to be here in -devel.

Ah ha!  Proof of what I said firstly above.  Geez, you're hanging yourself.