Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:15:38PM -0500, martin f krafft wrote:
> Uh, you know that January is coming up and we are on a biannual
> schedule, right? Can we release in January, please?

*snort* *giggle* *breaks down in gales of laughter*

Biannual? By last report, it was more like bienneal, and not looking to
change any time in the forseeable future. If you want an actual release
schedule, Debian is far from the place to be looking.

For what it's worth, I must grant that point releases have occured with
reasonable regularity, and do at least a little to help the situation
(though the whole "no new features" thing mitigates the usefulness of it in
alleviating the pain of running stable - but then, that isn't really the
philosophy in use by those currently doing them, so this isn't suprising,
and is not necessarily a bad thing).

There have been a lot of proposals on "fixing" this, including at least
one that I wrote. But they all boil down to one simple problem:

Many people do not want to change "we'll release it when it's ready" to
"we'll release what is ready".

Unless and until that is changed (and it's a matter of opinion, really,
and philosophy, meaning you can't really ever settle the argument, so
a GR isn't likely to do much except waste people's time), Debian will
continue on it's current path. The only person who really has the authority
to decide that, short of a GR, seems to be the RM. Whose philosophy has
been expounded, and does not seem likely to be changed if it hasn't been
already.

Personally, I'd love to *not* have NetBSD support in Sarge - *if* that
happens because Sarge comes out in a sane timeframe, and NetBSD simply
hasn't gotton things hashed out by that point.

Currently, it's looking like we'll have quite a bit of time, at the
current rate, to get it ready for the next release. I would call this a
silver-plated lead lining.

(And, FWIW, I asked one of the d-i folks what could be usefully done with a
week or two to spare, that was *not* NetBSD related, since I value timely
releases more than what toy name we happen to be using for the release that
postdates NetBSD being ready; while I do work on it, the answer seemed to
indicate that it's currently in a "nine women cannot make a baby in one
month" state...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/