Re: [bam@debian.org: Fixed in NMU of amavis 20020517-25]

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

> On 28 Oct 2002 20:47:25 -0500
> Daniel Martin <martin@snowplow.org> wrote:
>
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200210/msg02374.html
> >
> > Short answer?  Change the DEBEMAIL setting in your pbuilderrc to
> > DEBEMAIL=""
>
> Can you give me a better answer?

Well, I don't know about "better", but a longer answer is available in
the message I cited.  Since my main question (same as Brian May's
question) was "why is this happening?", really what we were looking
for was an explanation of the effect of the various build scripts and
how they interact with pbuilder.  Tor Anderson's reply filled in the
gaps in my understanding.

The basic problem is that pbuilder is calling dpkg-buildpackage with a
-m value that is different from the person listed as making the last
entry in the changelog.  There are two ways to fix that - either set
DEBEMAIL to exactly what is used in the changelog (name and address),
or set DEBEMAIL to the empty string and make sure that the Maintainer:
field in the control file is the same as what's used in the changelog.

It might be helpful to add text something like this to the explanation
of DEBEMAIL in the pbuilderrc man page:

  Note that by default DEBEMAIL is set to "nobody@nowhere", so you
  will almost certainly want to have this set in you pbuilderrc.
  Also note that if you are using pbuilder to build packages which
  you maintain yourself, you should probably set DEBEMAIL to the
  empty string (""), since that will cause the Maintainer: field
  of the control file to be used for the Maintainer: portion of
  the .changes file.

Only that's too verbose.  I'll be able to write a better paragraph
when I'm not running out the door.

I also question the wisdom of not having DEBEMAIL default to the empty
string.