Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/25/2002 1:02 AM, Jeff Waugh at jdub@perkypants.org wrote:

> No... The point behind the vFolder spec is that both GNOME and KDE can show
> all of the same menu items in their preferred / default structures (which
> are almost exactly the same now anyway).
>
> So with GNOME and KDE you need to do *zero work*. Just install the .desktop
> files in the right place, with sensible metadata, and you're done.

This assumes, of course, that the default Gnome and KDE menus embody simple
and elegant UI design principles.

If such is the case, then great.  There is "zero work".

If such is NOT the case, then Debian Desktop might be able to lend a helping
hand in designing an *alternate* menu, to be available as an option, that
embodies the ideals Debian Desktop is trying to achieve.

I do agree that the default KDE and Gnome .desktop files should be available
for those who choose to use them.

> Sounds like burning cats. :-)

Hey, hey, hey now!  I hapen to be fond of cats ;-)

Cheers,
Luke Seubert