Re: "removed" archive & snapshot.debian.net

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:

> > > In this case, you know package name that you want, so you can use
> > > apt line at http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool <packagename>
> > >
> > That's true, but what about people who backed up using dpkg's
> > --get-selections and want to restore? Wouldn't they have to run this line
> > separately for every "removed" package? I can come up with other examples.
> > If you don't want to help then I'll try to do it myself and it will
> > probably be far from an optimal solution. I want to have a line for apt's
> > sources for all "removed" packages.
>
> I think, in this case, you should use apt line by date when you backed up
> selections.

The goal is to have an apt-get-able removed archive. Not in the sense
of an archive where things are stored _somewhere_ but in the sense of
"woody" or "unstable", where you need _one_ or two lines and that's
it.That is to make it reasonably easy to get those removed packages.

The goal of the removed archive is not "somehow it's possible",
i.e. the goal is not that if you want to use that "archive" you have to
enter X > 20 apt-get lines into your sources file and keep on updating
them as removed packages move in.

I hope you see the fundamental difference.
*t

         Tomas Pospisek
         http://sourcepole.ch
         Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11