Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/23/2002 2:44 PM, Branden Robinson at branden@debian.org wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:42:33PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> I believe the reason they chose to do this is because deeply nested
>> menus are considered bad from a user interface standpoint.
>
> Menus taller than your screen are also bad from a user interface
> standpoint.

Quite right Branden.

Really tall menus are bad UI.

Deeply nested menus are bad UI.

You can't have both, or either.  As a result, tough choices must be made,
which severely limits the number of items and submenus that can appear in
the main menu.

This is why I said that good menu UI design is tough.

And this is why the default menu choices presented by Debian Desktop will
invariably piss off some, maybe even many or most, traditional Debian
developers and users.  There is just no way to cut down the number of items
in the menu that much so that a simple user interface is the result, without
throwing out somebody's favorite program(s).

C'est la vie.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert