Re: Game packages starting servers?

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:49:25PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
[snip]
>   I'm wondering, though, what people think should be done about GAMES
> that have network capability and separate server binaries.  It recently
> came to my attention that several games on my system started global servers
> upon being installed.
[snip]
>   I'm posting here because I want to know if I'm completely off my
> rocker, or if other people would expect this as well.  If the feeling is
> that some games shouldn't start by default and others should, can we
> write that down somewhere?
[snip]

Well, I was a bit surprised when I installed crossfire-server and it
automatically started the server. I had intended to use it for private
testing purposes; I didn't want to run a game server on my machine that
opened an external port to the net. Perhaps this is a special case;
perhaps most people who install crossfire-server want to run a server.

But I think it would be courteous for the installation to actually ask if
you want to run it as a daemon by default. Or require users to enable it
by hand. (If people hate seeing debconf prompts for game daemons, just set
the question's priority to low, and have it default to yes.)

Besides, game servers aren't usually designed with system security in mind
(I know crossfire isn't particularly strong in this respect). Starting
them by default may be a security concern.

The heroine goes where no man has gone before... the lady's washroom!