Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/21/2002 8:49 PM, Adam Heath at doogie@debian.org wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Joey Hess wrote:
>> I cannot help but shudder when I read that comment in this negative
>> Debian review. We *led* the way: we wrote menu, we put everything in
>> menu, we made every window manager (even twm, for crying out loud!) use
>> menu. And then gnome and kde came along, and we threw all that out the
>> window. No excuses: This stinks. We should be able to do much better.
>
> Why, we never released our code to freshmeat, nor sourceforget(not a typo).

Correct me if I am wrong, but was not the original menu code developed by
Debian licensed under the GPL and picked up and used by Mandrake for their
menu system?

If so, what improvements did Mandrake make to the code, and did Debian
incorporate those changes back into its own menu codebase?  I hope Debian
and Mandrake have been cooperating on this code in the true spirit of the
GPL and free software development.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert