Re: samba 2.999+3.0.alpha20-3: Cannot find Domain Master Browser

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:27:35PM +0100, Chris Mason wrote:
> I do not think this is a configuration issue as I have never had this
> problem under 2.2.x and the configuration file has not been changed.

This mailing list is for discussion of matters of general interest to
developers, which a bug in Samba normally is not, in my experience; and
maintainers of individual packages are not guaranteed to be subscribed
to debian-devel.  For best signal-to-noise results, please address such
concerns to the corresponding package via the BTS in the future; or if
you're not sure you've found a bug, to
<packagename>@packages.qa.debian.org.

> Every 15 mins (exactly) I get the following error appearing in syslog:

> Oct 20 10:10:31 hantu nmbd[3379]: [2002/10/20 10:10:31, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(357)
> Oct 20 10:10:31 hantu nmbd[3379]:   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> Oct 20 10:10:31 hantu nmbd[3379]:   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP.
> Oct 20 10:10:31 hantu nmbd[3379]:   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

> The thing which I cannot understand is why is it looking for the Master
> Browser called WORKGROUP as there are no machines in the workgroup
> WORKGROUP called WORKGROUP.

> Could anyone shed any light onto this or is this a bug?

Looking for the name WORKGROUP<1b> is not a bug; this is the NetBIOS
name corresponding to the domain master browser for a workgroup named
"WORKGROUP".  If you are getting this log message when you expect a DMB
to be found, that may be a bug but is more likely a configuration issue;
I would need more information to know for sure.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer