Re: Ati Radeon 8500, startx issue

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:15:06PM +0200, BacheK wrote:
> I got a ati radeon 8500 I've been trying to make for a while. (3d)
>
> I'll send XFree86.0.log as an attachment.
> [ends with Signal 11, after SilkenMouse setup]
>
> Anyone who've had similar issue ?
> If I had knowledge about the lousy radeon8500 support in linux I would
> never had bought it. :(

a) this is the wrong mailing list. Try dri-users (or debian-user).
b) the problem is known; you need a static libxaa.a due to binary
incompatibility issues with the dri binary packages.

http://mefriss1.swan.ac.uk/~jfonseca/dri/packages/libxaa.a.bz2

After that, your Radeon should work. BTW, dri is quite up-front that their
support is not yet considered stable, and I don't know about the
ATi-drivers, since they complain that my 8500 is a "third party device"
(probably because it's "Powered by ATi", not "Built by ATi"). I do use the
DRI drivers to mostly successfully play NWN/Wine though.

-Malte #8-)