Re: When not to close a bug in a changelog...

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:43:17AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Could so someone explain to me exactly why NMUs don't close the bugs in
> the first place?  I don't recall a discussion about it.  The developer's
> reference doesn't say, and a quick search of the list archives doesn't
> give anything promising, besides the following:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200203/msg00357.html

As far as I know it's because bugs get archived after 28 days of
inactivity and can't be reopened (they used to be deleted), so the
maintainer should be involved in closing them.

> If the NMU was bad, and the bug shouldn't have been closed, then we can
> just reopen it.
>
> Attached are patches against the dak CVS and the debbugs code in
> /org/bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin on master which should unimplement the
> "fixed" tag, and implement the "nmu" tag.

I suspect removing existing tags is bad without rewriting the bug
database, and the ability to reopen archived bugs and have them
unarchived *must* be implemented first. I'm working on the latter, but
several separate things need to be changed.