Problems with Lintian

Hi,

whenever I check a package with lintian I get the following output:

aisotton@zarathustra:~/debian/gif2png$ lintian gif2png_2.4.6-1_i386.changes
internal error: error occured during execution of dpkg-source:
internal error: could not unpack package to desired level: No such file or directory
N: Skipping check of source package gif2png
E: gif2png: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/web2png

Using lintian -v --debug I get the following:

aisotton@zarathustra:~/debian/gif2png$ lintian -v --debug gif2png_2.4.6-1_i386.changes
N: Lintian v1.21.1
N: Lintian root directory: /usr/share/lintian
N: Configuration file: /etc/lintianrc
N: Laboratory: /tmp/lintian-lab.3035
N: Archive directory:
N: Distribution:
N: Default unpack level: 1
N: Architecture: any
N: ----
N: Processing changes file gif2png_2.4.6-1_i386.changes ...
N: Setting up lab in /tmp/lintian-lab.3035 ...
N: Processing 2 packages...
N: Selected action: check
N: Requested unpack level: 1
N: Requested data to collect: override-file,copyright-file,file-info,debian-readme,debfiles,init.d,md5sums,changelog-file,diffstat,scripts,objdump-info,menu-files,doc-base-files
N: Selected checks: manpages,files,debian-readme,menus,md5sums,debhelper,scripts,shared-libs,etcfiles,debconf,standards-version,copyright-file,debdiff,menu-format,control-files,description,binaries,init.d,conffiles,spelling,changelog-file,fields,cruft,infofiles
N: ----
N: Processing source package gif2png (version 2.4.6-1) ...
N: Base directory in lab: /tmp/lintian-lab.3035/source/gif2png
N: Current unpack level is 0
N: Unpacking package to level 1 ...
N: Current unpack level is 1
N: Unpacking package to level 2 ...
N: /usr/share/lintian/unpack/unpack-srcpkg-l2 /tmp/lintian-lab.3035/source/gif2png
internal error: error occured during execution of dpkg-source:
internal error: could not unpack package to desired level: No such file or directory
N: Skipping check of source package gif2png
N: ----
N: Processing binary package gif2png (version 2.4.6-1) ...
N: Base directory in lab: /tmp/lintian-lab.3035/binary/gif2png
N: Current unpack level is 0
N: Unpacking package to level 1 ...
N: Current unpack level is 1
N: Unpacking package to level 2 ...
N: Collecting info: override-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: copyright-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: file-info ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: debian-readme ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: init.d ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: md5sums ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: changelog-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: scripts ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: menu-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: doc-base-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: objdump-info ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: manpages ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debian-readme ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: menus ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: md5sums ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: scripts ...
E: gif2png: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/web2png
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: shared-libs ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: etcfiles ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debconf ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: copyright-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: menu-format ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: control-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: description ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: binaries ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: init.d ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: conffiles ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: spelling ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: changelog-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: fields ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: infofiles ...
N: Decreasing unpack level to 1 (removing files) ...
N: Removing /tmp/lintian-lab.3035 ...

I tried reinstalling lintian and dpkg-dev, but it didn't help.  I
tracked the error down to the file /usr/share/lintian/unpack-srcpkg-l2
where the following statement fails:

close($IN) or fail("error occured during execution of dpkg-source: $!");

I have no idea of what is happening.  I am running unstable; any
ideas?
--
Aaron Isotton

http://www.isotton.com/