Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:35:08AM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
> > Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
> >> So what happens when I conflict is identified? So far I have seen 3
> >> mechanisms:
> >>
> >> 1. mark the section in the file with both versions (CVS).
> >>
> >> 2. create a new *.rej file containing all changes that could not
> >> be applied (patch).
> >>
> >> 3. 3 way GUI merge (bitkeeper).
>
> I think the right thing to do is to tie in to the various existing
> tools to do this.  Some tools (perhaps most) make 1 and 2 equivalent.
> For example, in Emacs you can use vc-resolve-conflicts in a buffer
> which contains CVS-marked conflicts and it'll use ediff to merge them.
> tkdiff can also understand CVS-marked conflicts, and I'm sure other

another good tool for merging diffs between two files is vim's diff
mode. for anybody who is a fan of vi[m], this is great tool for merging
diff: it puts the files side by side and will fold the documents to be
the correct length so that everything matches up.

--
gram