[ openantivirus-Bugs-619508 ] latest virus signatures causes crash

[CCed: to Debian maintainers of oav-update and kaffe]

Hello,

Is someone else able to please follow up on this?

I have been able to reproduce this bug on two completely
different woody systems now.

If it is indeed a bug/limitation/feature in kaffe, as the upstream
maintainers think, I am not sure what to do about it...

Assumming others can reproduce this bug, and it isn't just
me ;-), this will make scannerdaemon in testing, unstable
(and stable; but I don't think it got into stable) unusable
with current versions of the virus database.

This in turn will break programs like amavis which can no longer
scan for virusses (unless you also have a non-free, non
Debian distributed virus scanner configured).

(note: if clamscan is installed, oav-update will refuse to
install the latest virus signatures because it will detect
that it breaks clamscan; however no similar check is yet in
place for scannerdaemon).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
--- Begin Message ---

Category: ScannerDaemon
Group: None

Initial Comment:
OpenAntivirus ScannerDaemon v0.5.1
(c) 2001-2002 iKu Netzwerklösungen http://www.iku-netz.de/
ScannerDaemon comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for
details read 'COPYING'.
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain
conditions; for details read 'COPYING'.
Reading 'virussignatures.strings'...
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
	at
java.lang.StringBuffer.ensureCapacity(StringBuffer.java:131)
	at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:73)
	at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:49)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:146)
	at
org.openantivirus.scanner.StringVirusFinder.<init>(StringVirusFinder.java:44)
	at
org.openantivirus.credo.CredoParser.doParse(CredoParser.java:87)
	at
org.openantivirus.credo.CredoParser.parse(CredoParser.java:71)
	at
org.openantivirus.credo.CredoParser.parse(CredoParser.java:68)
	at
org.openantivirus.credo.CredoParser.load(CredoParser.java:53)
	at org.openantivirus.scanner.ScannerDaemon.<init>(ScannerDaemon.java:67)	at
org.openantivirus.scanner.ScannerDaemon.main(ScannerDaemon.java:131)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:native)
	at kaffe.jar.ExecJarName.main(ExecJarName.java:70)
	at kaffe.jar.ExecJar.main(ExecJar.java:61)

I do not believe this is a geniune out of memory problem:

snoopy:unstable:~# free
             total       used       free     shared
buffers     cached
Mem:        126324     122736       3588          0
   4880      22420
-/+ buffers/cache:      95436      30888
Swap:       390456     176264     214192

Comment By: Kurt Huwig (kurti)