Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:32:49AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> License changes should only occur at the agreement of both parties.  This can
> be done by having a different license for a new version (so you can stick on
> the old version of accept the new license).  Having to potentially change the
> way you work at the whim of a jerk is ridiculous.

My understanding is that a license is like a contract/agreement between
two parties. ie. Both parties need to agree to any changes. If you tell
the other party by agreeing to this license you automatically agree to
any changes I may feel like making, well... its not really an agreement
anymore is it? Or rather, you agree to do anything I might say in a
later license ("you may not use this software or earlier versions,
without jumping out the window of a ten story building first").

If one party can create a new license without the other party agreeing
before hand, does this work both ways?

ie. can I create the Bitkeeper License version 2.0, and paste the
contents of /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 into it, and use that as
the "latest version of the license"?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>