Re: Warning to Debian Developers regarding BitKeeper

In article <[🔎] 20021007000322.A20236@noris.de>,
Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Ben Collins:
>> Larry has already publicly revoked my license to use bitkeeper under the
>> gratis license, for no other reason than because I am a subversion
>> developer. Regardless of what I was using bitkeeper for (my kernel work,
>> related to linux1394).
>>
>Ah. :-(  I didn't know that.
>
>> of this) and that license supercedes older licenses (it's in the license
>> that you must always agree to the latest available license revision).
>>
>I don't know about the US, but in Germany this would be unenforcable.

Common misconception. Ben cannot use the _free_ version of BK
for free. If he buys a BK license there is no problem.

This mess is not BKs fault. It is Linus' fault for picking BK to
maintain the kernel source - now some people have to buy a license
to use BK to develop for the kernel.

Though one can argue that Larry lured him into it.

Mike.