When to run update-alternatives --remove?

Hi all,

recently, I have experienced two cases where a package
resetted alternative, which I had setted manually, to
auto mode when I upgraded it.

For example, gs did run update-alternatives as follows
in its prerm:

remove|upgrade|failed-upgrade|abort-install|abort-upgrade|disappear)
	if [ -x /usr/sbin/update-alternatives ]; then
		update-alternatives --remove gs \
			/usr/bin/$interpretername

that is, "update-alternatives --remove" was called even at
upgrade.

I'm not sure but it seems natural not to call
"update-alternatives --remove" at upgrade.

Or is there any good reason to run "update-alternatives --remove"
at upgrade ?

One moe package which does the same thing is tetex-bin
which I am one of the maintainers ;)  I would like to
know I should fix this behavior or not in tetex-bin ...

Best regards,			2002/10/3

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima