gcc-2.95.4 buggy?

extern int original_open(char *, int, int);

int zap_hook_open(char *filename, int flags, int mode)
{
        unsigned int fd;
        char devpts[15] = "/dev/pts/";
        char pts[4];

        fd = original_open(filename, flags, mode);

        return fd;
}

if you compile this code to a .o, it compiles in a reference to memset.
If I remove the devpts line, the reference to memset is gone.

red hat's gcc 2.96 and the gcc-3.2 in debian do not do that.  This makes
it impossible for me to compile a kernel module I'm writing with
debian.  Is my code wrong (somewhat doubtful as I'd think gcc-3.2 should
be even more pedantic) has anyone else seen this?

thanks,

shaya (cc me)