Re: Orphaning Unbuildable Packages (fpm)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:46:49AM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:

> > > Thus it should be removed from unstable, since upstream is dead, it is
> > > broken, and the maintainer does not want it and won't fix it.
>
> > I didn't disagree. You should read my proposal for a "removed" section and
> > perhaps the alike threads.
>
> > > IF you care about it, adopt it.  Otherwise, let it die peacefully...
>
> > The "removed" section should contain only orphaned packages.
>
> What's the point of taking up disk space on all of our mirrors for
> packages that not even the MAINTAINER thinks are worth keeping around?
> It's one thing to keep packages around when someone no longer has time to
> maintain it; but when the Debian developer most familiar with the package
> tells us that it's bad software, he should be listened to.

Please read the relevant threads on what the point is. Also please read
the alternate proposal and some interim solutions.

> If you believe an orphaned piece of software deserves to be kept around
> *ON ITS OWN MERITS*, then get involved, speak up, and adopt it.
> Proposals that would tie our hands and require us to become
> sourceforge-like in our dedication to useless software do not benefit
> real users.

I'm trying to make it easier for packages to get a second chance. I listed
many reasons why this would be desirable. Thanks for your sourceforge
reference, if you have been following the threads you would have seen my
idea for a sourceforge proposal. Due to the relatively few packages being
removed and the relatively low demand. A "removed" archive would work on
sourceforge. I do however need to figure out how to organize such an
archive and how to automate it's maintained.