Re: debconf w/ charset encoding support

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:20:47 -0400
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> > There is a list posted in the bug entry, to assume the original unspecified
> > encoding, by Tomohiro Kubota.
> > Please use it.
>
> I really don't want to. The encoding is indeed unspecified. Putting on
> such a nasty bandaid that may not even work in all cases is not
> appealing when we can just fix it all for sarge.

Thinking about it a bit more, debconf-mergetemplate can offer to
do the translation of Description-XX: fields to Description-XX.UTF-8:
fields, using iconv.

Adding that check would help lessen the confusion.
People are confused enough right now they might start writing templates
files with Description-XX: fields in UTF-8, which is a bad idea.
If they fail the iconv process, at least the package builder will
notice, and as an added bonus, we have UTF-8 templates file transition.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer