system configuration library

Hi all,
I have started to work on a library for debian system configuration. It is
meant to be used in conjunction with a frontend which can be anything from a
Gnome or KDE control center plugin to an ncurses frontend for the commandline
or a python package.

To accomplish this, it is written in C/C++ using only standard C and C++
libraries. The library modifies configuration files and starts/stops/restarts
services. At the time of this writing in the library there is support for:

- Sound cards (OSS)
- Ethernet cards
- scsi controller
- mouse
- keyboard (Xfree86)
- graphics cards
- network interfaces (TCPIP, IPX, IPv6)
- pcmcia (cardmgr)
- usb (usbmgr)

Screenshots can be seen on:
http://magiconf.sourceforge.net

The code on CVS is old and doesn't even compile. Lots of internal changes
have been made and a new codebase will be available soon. Mail me if you want
a recent snapshot.

From the success I had among debian users in our local user group, it seemed
to me that this is something that users demand and that could help debian
users install/configure their systems.

Now that I have gotten to a stage where the program is quite usable, I would
like to hear critics from some debian developers if this is the right way to
go, how it can be integrated into the debian system, or what can be made
better.

My goal was initially to write a debian admin tool. Soon I recognised that
due to debians diversity of supported Desktops, it has to be very compatible.
Some people use Gnome, some KDE, some only a light windowmanager and some
don't even have X installed. This is the solution I have so far.

There used to be a mailing list for a debian admin tool, but it is
discontinued now. Also there are tools out there like pppconfig for instance
which functionality could be integrated in a system configuration library.

regards,
Marc