Re: [ardour-dev] ardour

Hello!

On Don, 12 Sep 2002, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh produced 4,5K chars torturing the keyboard:

> > its simply not possible to change Ardour's build system so that it
> > doesn't use static linkage. this will break distributions that one way
> > or another can't guarantee what debian does. if robert or anyone else
> > has a patch to make it selectable, i will apply it.
>
> You would not object to the debian source package directly patching the
> build system, instead of providing a build-time selectable option?  I ask
> this because that's how it is usually done unless upstream is planning on
> releasing such changes for all its users, or the Debian maintainer likes to
> overengineer things :-)
>
> The Debian source package is a "original tarball" (which would be the
> tarball you distribute Ardor source without any changes, with very high
> probability) and a "debian patch" that gets applied on top of it...

Exactly.

I'll see what I can do about the selectable option. As I read from
Paul's paragraph the Debian package can be dynamically linked no matter
what. That's very good! Thanks to everyone who took part in this
discussion! Thanks to Paul for his understanding and flexibility!

    Robert.

--
We can found no scientific discipline, nor a healthy profession on the
technical mistakes of the Department of Defense and IBM.