Re: Unmaintained Debian packages section&BTS tags

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 05:58:08PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > the proposal goes like this:
> >
> > 1) iif unmaintained && older than X1 && RC-bugs > X2 remove from debian
> > 2) iif unmaintained && bugs > Y move to unmaintained
>
> My proposal goes like this:
>
>   1) iff unmaintained && (some other conditions, let's not worry for now)
>        remove from Debian
>   2) iff unmaintained && bugs > Y
>        move to snapshot.debian.net
>
> snapshot.debian.net already automatically contains all packages removed
> from Debian, so all we need to do for 2) is to remove the package.
>
> Can you see why I think this is good enough? Users can still get the
> packages if they want them.

Yes, you don't want to bother with unmaintained stuff and you don't want
it to end in the debian pool. The first part is also achieved by the
proposal I figured. Except that it makes it way easier to get at those
packages. The second part can be handled by filling RC bugs against that
package, iif it's problems are really that big (doesn't build, security
problems etc.) - then the package would get removed.

Do you see, why I think your proposition is not a good idea? What's the
apt-get source line for snapshot.debian.net? Media boundaries are bad.
apt-get/dselect does not show you these and that's also why Debian is so
good. The experienced user with unlimited amounts of time will allways
find the software he needs _somewhere_.

If we'd have an "unmaintained" section, than people could decide for
themselves. Now you are making the decision for them. In this particular
case I personally certainly prefer the former.

Mind you - there already exists a script that can warn you about
unmaintained stuff [1] and apt could also warn you if you install
unmaintained stuff [2] making it even more explicit. And yet, it would not
put an additional burden on QA or security.
*t

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200209/msg00603.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200209/msg00826.html

         Tomas Pospisek