Re: Different logging formats, standardization...

> It is very easy to confuse logcheck, for instance by sending email
> to attack@localhost...

That is exactly what i mean, logcheck has some hit words (for example
"bad") that i frequently hit (my notebooks hostname is bomBADil...)

> One question though: different people may be interested in seeing
> different things in the log.

I disagree here: IMHO it should be logged anyway and they should be able
to filter stuff they don't like out of it (and i think syslog-ng would
allow them to not log such stuff at all, if they want to do that)

> For instance, consider amavis (virus E-Mail scanning):
Yep, i use amavis, too.

> - some people may want to have immediate indication whenever a virus is
>   received.
> - other people may only want to be immediately notified if a virus is
>   received from an internal IP address or other "trusted" computer.
> - others may not want to see any indication at all. Or there might want
>   details logged just in case they get complaints latter on that mail
>   is not getting through.

This can be done in post-processing, if the logging is verbose enough
IMHO. -  but it needs to be machine-readeable...

> Another example: some people might treat any connection to the
> telnet port as a serious incident, especially if it is not a SSL
> or Kerberos based connection, where as others may not care.

I agree. And some people might want to be only notified if there are a
significant amount of such "incidents" in a certain time frame.

> This, I think is also a good example of why syslog levels aren't always
> sufficient. I can't imagine syslog doing a good job for every situation
> here...

Syslog shouldn't notify; but the applications should pass verbose
information to syslog, so that extra utilities can handle these
situations more easily.

> Would a standardized logging format help in these cases?

IMHO it does.
If logcheck could remove it's generic catchall-clauses (where most of
these hits are then ignored by additional clauses afterwards)
by replacing them with some tighter regular expressions
(such as "^[a-z]* security-warning (medium|high|critical)" )
this certainly is an improvment.

Greetings,
Erich

--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
          Go away or i'll replace you with a very small shell script.