Re: Work-needing packages report for Sep 6, 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 06:02:13PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:55, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > So you'd remove the package, even if people are using it and are that far
> > happy with it?
>
> The hypothetical example was given of a package not needing any changes for a
> period of 6 years.  If a package was useful and didn't need maintaining then
> some developer would probably adopt it and forget it.
>
> I expect that I'm not the only developer who can't even remember the list of
> packages they maintain.  Some packages don't have any new versions or any bug
> reports so I just forget them until someone reports a bug.
>
> Why is this so difficult?

Yeah, I agree there. I went through a phase of adopting orphaned
packages I thought were interesting; one of those, browser-history,
didn't have any uploads between February 2001 and this month, and has
been no effort. However if I or somebody else hadn't adopted it then it
would likely still be collecting bugs for QA, because when I adopted it
it *did* need significant work.