Re: Work-needing packages report for Sep 6, 2002

Le Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:46:05AM -0700, Michael Cardenas écrivait:
> we have a number of packages that were orpnahed 2 or 3 years ago.
>
> I think we should have a process whereby if a package does not get a
> maintainer in a certain amount of time, we remove it from the archive,
> and list them in the wnpp report as "sehcduled for removal on DATE".

I fully agree. But the best solution would be to have a team which would
try to found new maintainers before :
- by asking the old maintainers
- by asking upstream mailing lists (and upstream authors)
- by asking some patch contributors (in the BTS)
- by asking maintainers of packages that depend on it

If they fail, then the package should be removed. But if nobody
volunteers to do that job, then the packages should be dropped
right now (take care to check reverse depends before asking for the
removal of package).

What do people think about this ? Would some people be interested by doing
this job ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com