Re: Some proposals about the Email-subsystem, was Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:59:14AM -0600, Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:52:13PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 02:56:46PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > What I'm saying is that to must have a mail-server install, even if it is
> > > just ssmtp or something like that.
> >
> > 	Yes, however the mail server should not be running as a daemon nor
> > listening for incoming port 25 connections.
>
> I checked out ssmtp and it is not what we would eventually want.  It
> does not deliver _any_ mail locally.
>
> Indeed procmail cannot deliver local mail, and I though about writing
> some script which acomplishes the simple task of distinguishing
> between local and remote recipients and pipe the local ones a copy via
> the default delivery method, while putting the remote ones into a kind
> of outgoing queue.  However has it done or is faster than I, go ahead.

I do not really understand what the point of this is, but if it is
a small, minimal MTA, you can use masqmail. It happens that I am both
up/downstream of it, so I can modify it to, say, masqmail-tiny, which
does nothing but deliver mail locally, or, if required, remote via SMTP.
It should not be too much work, I think.

Incoming connections can be disabled, or can be done with inetd.

Small drawback for masqmail is however, that it depends on libglib. I
already have configure options to link that statically, increasing the size
by ~30K.

A pro is that it does not depend on procmail, and can deliver to mbox,
maildir and an mda. Patches for MH are welcome.

> Javier states it clearly, it is not necessary to have a daemon running
> for this.

You still need a queue running daemon for the case that the mailbox is
locked, or a mail cannot be delivered for any reason. But this can also
be done with a cron job.

I will start a project of this kind only if I am somewhat sure that it will be
used. So, give me feedback ;-). Otherwise I'll hide under my rock again.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
debian/rules                                       http://zork.net/~nick/srom/