Re: RFC: A regression test framework for Debian packages?

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 06:19, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >  In a chrooted environment, we can install deboostrap and
> >  package dependencies through APT.
>
> About 6 months ago I started writing some code in expect to do just this, to
> test my quake2-data installer package.  I was able to install the package
> into an UML machine, answer the debconf questions, and check the location of
> the installed files (being an installer package, not all files installed by
> the package are in the deb).
>
> I haven't touched this code for a long time, but I've been meaning to clean
> it up and start doing regression testing on parts of the archive.  I envisage
> being able to run it once a week on the entire archive, testing the
> ability of every pacakge to cleanly upgrade from woody to sarge, and back
> again.

I hate to break in as a normal user, but it seems to me that all these
scripts such as this one, linda and litian are all having to be run over
the entire archive.  Cant these scripts be made to be archive aware so
only updated packages are check and possibly packages that depend on
them.  Wouldn't this save all kinds of CPU time? Just a quick thought.